Natural Gas Safety
Natural gas is a valuable source of energy in our homes. As with all forms of energy, safety is important. Here are suggestions for keeping your family safe.
- Teach small children to stay away from gas ranges and all gas-burning appliances.
- Keep fire extinguishers readily available, and teach your family how to use them.
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
- Although natural gas has no odor, a chemical is added to give it a "rotten egg" smell so it can be easily detected. Familiarize your family members with this smell and teach them it's a sign of danger.
If you detect a strong "rotten egg" odor of gas:
24 HOUR EMERGENCY CONTACTS:
- Do not light matches.
- Do not turn lights (or any other electrical appliance) on or off.
- Do not use the telephone, intercom or alarm system.
- Do not carry a cordless phone outside and use it. The base is still in the house/business and can ignite an explosion if there is a leak.
- Do not re-enter your home or business until a Dalton Utilities gas technician has told you it is safe.
- Do notify everyone to leave the building, if possible. Do not use telephones, intercoms or alarm bells.
- Do call Dalton Utilities at (706) 278-1313 from a telephone at a different location.
- Dalton Utilities – 706-278-1313 or Toll-Free (888) 337-1313
- Fire Department, Police and/or Sheriff – 911
If you have additional questions on natural gas safety, please call the Dalton Utilities Customer Service Department at (706) 278-1313.